- 2 cups of flour
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 cup of salt
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon of cream of tartar (optional, but recommended as it makes it more plyable)
- Food Coloring (optional)
- Essential Oils (optional)
- Mix the flour, water, salt, vegetable oil and optional cream of tartar into a large pot.
- Stir mixture on low heat until it is the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Keep stirring until you have a giant ball of play dough.
- If the dough is sticky, keep stirring over low heat.
- Let cool.
Making Colors and Scents:
- Proportion the dough into several bowels, one for each color/scent combination you wish to make.
- Add a few drops of food coloring and/or essential oils. It doesn’t take many.
- Start to knead the coloring and/or oil into the dough. NOTE: Be sure to wear rubber gloves unless you want blue hands!
- Add more color and oil as necessary.
- Play and have fun.
The dough should last a few months without any issues. After a while the dough can start to dry out, just knead a few drops of water into the dough to bring it back to life. Be sure to store it in an air tight container for a long shelf life. Have fun.