Over the last few years we have brought you many great ideas on how to make the best homemade cleaner for your toughest stains and cleaning tasks. Here is a summary of our most popular homemade cleaners.
Fan Favorites for The Best Homemade Cleaner
- Homemade Brass and Copper Cleaner - To clean all of your brass and copper, create a paste of vinegar and salt. Use a clean cloth and rub the mixture into the surface until the surface shines. Let it sit for a few minutes and apply the paste again with a clean cloth if necessary. Keep moving what area of the cloth you are using to avoid spreading the discoloration that you have removed. Wipe well with a fresh cloth to bring the metal to a clean shine.
- Homemade Eyeglass Cleaner - We use a lot of eyeglass cleaner so I worked on making the Ultimate Homemade Eyeglass Cleaning Solution. It is very simple to make and works great. It is safe for most coatings and very inexpensive to make. Make a mixture of 3 parts rubbing alcohol and 1 part water. Add a few drops of mild liquid dish soap. Mix well and put into a spray bottle. Spray both sides of the lens and rub clean with a clean, soft cloth. I find that a good microfiber cloth works the best. Be careful to never use paper towels or else you can scratch your lenses. Rinsing the glasses under the faucet first to quickly wash away excess dirt will also aid in keeping scratches away.
- Homemade All-Purpose Kitchen Cleaner - A great homemade all-purpose kitchen cleaner is very easy to make, just fill a spray bottle with half white vinegar, half clean water, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Just spray the surface and wipe down with your Super Scrubbing Cleaning Cloth. Remember to use the button when you get to those dried on food stains to wipe them away easily. This cleaner is fairly acidic and should not be used on granite, marble, natural stone, or wood.
- Homemade Oven Cleaner - Mix 5 tablespoons of Baking Soda, 4 teaspoons of white vinegar, and a few drops of dish soap in a bowl to make a paste. Spread the paste onto the stains and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Wipe the area clean with a dry cloths or paper towel. I usually take a wet paper towel and give the inside a through wipe down at the end.
- Homemade Tough Carpet Stain Remover - For tough carpet stains try mixing 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup baking soda, 8 drops of white vinegar, and a small amount of water to make a paste. Spread the paste onto the stain. You can just let it dry or you can work it into the carpet for really tough stains. After the paste has dried, brush with a stiff brush and vacuum. Don't brush too hard as not to damage the carpet. This is a very powerful carpet cleaner so be sure to test your carpet for color fastness.
- Homemade Wood Furniture Cleaner - To create your own wood cleaner simply combine 1 teaspoon of light olive oil and 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Mix well in a plastic spray bottle. Spray on your wood furniture and work in with a microfiber cloth. This works as well or better than any commercial product that I have tested. When done, use our homemade polish to bring out the shine.