Vinegar Is A Great Organic Weed Killer


Weeds, weeds, weeds, how I hate thee. Seems no matter what I do, I can't keep weeds out of my flower beds or garden. I put down weed barrier, yet they still grow. I put down Preen, yet they still grow. I pull them, yet they still grow. I have used Roundup or Weed-B-Gone before and they work quite well, but I don't like having those chemicals around the house. I have found that Vinegar is a great weed killer. Put some in a spray bottle and spray away. Sometimes you have to spray a few times to kill the weeds, but not having to use herbicides in my garden is well worth it as I like organic produce.

Regular household white vinegar is about 5% concentrated and works well on most weeds. If you find you have some stubborn weeds, you can make a stronger concentration by boiling vinegar. Household vinegar is watered down acetic acid. Since acetic acid has a boiling point of 118.1 °C (391.2 K)(244.6 °F) and water has a boiling point of 100 °C (373 K)(212 °F), boiling vinegar will evaporate the water leaving a higher concentration of acetic acid. 5 Minutes should be adequate for stronger weed killer. As always, use caution when mixing or boiling chemicals. If in doubt consult an expert.
Hints on Chester's Clean House are provided "as is" and Chester's Clean House shall have no liability for any damages (whether direct, indirect, consequential or otherwise) arising from the use, attempted use or application of any of the hints described in this blog.

Privacy Policy

©2007-2010 Chester's Clean House