How to Kill Mold

Any home that has ever suffered from water damage knows the problem with mold. However, even if you haven’t had a recent flood or broken pipe, mold can still be a major problem. Mold exists anywhere that there is moisture. Bathrooms with improper ventilation and homes without dehumidifiers can quickly grow a mold problem.

Mold is alive, take away its source of food or water and it goes away!

Mold is a living thing. Is needs water and food to exist and it is always trying to grow more mold by releasing spores. These spores are the primary culprit of the respiratory and other health issues that are associated with mold. Anyone with a compromised immune system of who is prone to allergies should address any mold problems immediately. Black mold is especially dangerous and should be dealt with by professionals. Black mold removal is dangerous because it is extremely toxic. If you even try to remove black mold you will need to wear a respirator and wear full body and eye protection.

Mold Removal Products

There are several commercially available mold removal products. You need to be very cautious when using these as they can often be more toxic then the mold you are trying to remove. I have found that white vinegar or bleach (never mix bleach and vinegar) mixed with water are pretty good mold cleaners.

When removing mold always wear a mask or respirator. No matter how careful you are, when you disturb the mold, spores will be released. To reduce the number of released spores and to begin the cleaning process, wet down the area that you are going to scrub with a spray bottle filled with equal parts of water and white vinegar. Scrub the pre-soaked area with pure white vinegar and a scrub brush or sponge, depending on the surface that you are trying to clean. I admit, the white vinegar smell is strong, but it does dissipate very quickly. Test a small area of your surface before you start cleaning to make sure that is doesn’t discolor. Do not use bleach to kill mold in any living areas! Bleach, even diluted, will harm the surface that you are trying to clean and it will harm your family.

If you find mold on any of your drywall, make sure that you kill it immediately and solve your moisture problem. Once mold gets into drywall, you have to remove all of the drywall and replace it to kill the mold. Drywall is a perfect incubator for mold. It spreads across the paper and exists off of the moisture stored within the drywall. There is no mold cleaner for drywall mold. Always use waterproof drywall in bathrooms when remodeling!

Remember; until you address the moisture issue you will always have mold. If the mold is in your basement, you may have to install a sump pump and seal your walls. Also, look for any other sources of water or moisture. Mold doesn’t require much water so even the smallest leak or source of dampness is enough to sustain the mold. Adding a dehumidifier will also help. If you are getting mold in bathrooms or other interior rooms, look into installing an exhaust fan. Many different makes and models exist and some can be incorporated into light fixtures so that the fan turns on with the light. Remove the moisture, remove the mold!
Hints on Chester's Clean House are provided "as is" and Chester's Clean House shall have no liability for any damages (whether direct, indirect, consequential or otherwise) arising from the use, attempted use or application of any of the hints described in this blog.

Privacy Policy

©2007-2010 Chester's Clean House